1. Download from [http://macvim.org/OSX/](http://macvim.org/OSX/) and follow instructions ( don’t forget to copy files to ~/.vimrc and ~/.gvimrc)
2. Edit .gvimrc and comment out the last lines dealing with color, or you’ll never get a proper colorscheme working
3. Drag the VIM app to your dock for easy activation
4. OS X comes with a VIM that lags a bit from the version you just installed. It means that if you type
Salyut:~ ruben$ vim
from the terminal, it will invoke the bundled version. On the other hand, if you click on the nice VIM icon in your dock, it will invoke the newer version.
5. You need to move the old vim out of the way, to make space for the new app. Type the following in your terminal:
Salyut:~ ruben$ sudo mv /usr/bin/vim /usr/bin/vim6 Salyut:~ ruben$ sudo ln -s /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim /usr/bin/vim
now when you invoke wim from the terminal, is the same app (minus the GUI) than the one in your dock.